Policy and Legal Aspects in the African Region on the Implementation of MARPOL Annex VI
Date & Time
7th October 2021 - 7th October 2021 02:30 PM - 04:30 PM
The meeting aimed to highlight IMO member states on practical information on the technical and legal implications of ratifying, implementing and enforcing of MARPOL Annex VI.
The main focus of this meeting included:
- The IMO and United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Policy Framework.
- Implementation challenges of MARPOL Annex VI from a regulatory perspective.
- Incorporation of MARPOL Annex VI into National Law
- The GMN & MTCC Africa – Ms. Lydia Ngugi, Project Head for the Maritime Technology Cooperation Centre – Africa
- MARPOL Annex VI: Legal Implementation – IVANE Abashidze (LL.M. IMO IMLI),Vice Chair of IMO Legal Committee & Deputy Director of Maritime Transport Agency of Georgia
- AUC Perspectives on the Shipping Industry & Climate Change in Africa – Dr Raissa ADA ALLOGO, Senior Policy Officer, African Union Commission
- Policy & Legal aspects in the African region on the Implementation of MARPOL Annex VI – Ms. Lydia Ngugi, International Maritime Lawyer & Project Head for Maritime Technology Cooperation Centre-Africa
- Webinar Recording
- Cutting shipping’s GHG emissions – IMO’s role [Learn how IMO supports shipping’s decarbonization transition through regulation and implementation support in this ‘Making Waves: The Future of Shipping’, a video telling the story of the issues and opportunities facing the shipping industry at a time of environmental crisis.]
The meeting will highlight to IMO members states practical information on the technical and legal implications of ratifying, implementing and enforcing of MARPOL Annex VI.